On Mon, 14/11/11, Colleen lang wrote: Hi Everyone, Just a quick note to ask if you are doing anything for what I think is Val’s 70th Birthday this year. Please let me know if I can do anything to help if anything is arranged I would love to be of assistance if I can. If she doesn’t want anything just wondering if I can arrange a get together somewhere either before or after the event so at least we can all help her celebrate it - that is of course if you all don’t mind. Hope all families are well and happy – all is good down here GOD how close is Christmas now and as usual I have done nothing guess it will be last minute shopping AGAIN. Love to all - look forward to hearing from you
|
From: deborah lane
Sent: Monday, 14 November 2011 2:03 PM
To: Colleen lang
Cc: steve and kylie conrad
Subject: Re: Val's 70th
ARRRgh! EEEE! OH NO! How did this slip thru?? Just confirmed with dad, yes, she is 70 this year...panic stations...he says she'd probably prefer a "nice family get together", but details would be up to us...I asked how big a family get together, and he said, one he doesn't have to put up a marquis tent for. So I take that to mean...anyone as long as they're related...and in a building of some sort. A date, a date...let's make a date quick quick, then worry about the rest... Pllllleeeeease get back to me with possibles ASAP!
Debbie Lane ;-)
Hi Deb,
Calm Deb breatheeeeee in and out in and out (ha ha)
Do you want to go before or after Christmas – the lead up to Christmas is always busy for everyone maybe after when everything has settled a bit but just give me an idea of what suits everyone then we can take it from there.
Also many venues will be solidly booked by now pre-christmas do you have any thoughts on where you would like to hold it.
Colleen.
From Stephen
Maybe a quiet dinner somewhere on a Saturday evening? It’s possible before Christmas, but it would only be small. She likes that place in Kilcoy...can’t think of the name, but Robbie would know. It’s a long way for the Ballina crew to come though
PS: DEBBIE: For god’s sake, stop being such a Drama Queen!!!. It’s very uncivilised and more than a little disturbing.
Regards Steve
From: Stephen Conrad
To: Colleen lang
Sent: Wednesday, 16 November 2011 9:41 AM
Subject: VJC's B'Day
Good Morning All
I’ve spoken to mum this morning and she does not want something big (and was very specific about this). She remembers all the work that her and dad used to put in for all of the other milestone celebrations that they assisted on and does not want to be responsible for inflicting that on us. She also mentioned that it would probably be better to have something after Christmas, perhaps even early in the new year.
I’ve asked her to speak with Robbie and come up with somewhere that she would like...knowing her, it will probably be Chantilly Blue (restaurant in Kilcoy), the Caboolture RSL or a Tavern somewhere. Mum will let us know in due course...so at this stage, her 70th is nothing that will immediately create a DRAMATIC circumstance. So stand down and relax until we hear from her.
Enjoy your respective days.
Regards
I kind of figured that would be the case – I did not mean this to be a dramatic circumstance I was only asking – sorry if it caused anyone a problem.
I guess I will hear in due course if you would like us to attend.
Regards, |
Colleen Lang (What I actually wrote...) (and his replies in red italics...) From: deborah lane [mailto:meaquilta@yahoo.com] Sent: Wednesday, 16 November 2011 12:24 PM To: Stephen Conrad Subject: Re: VJC's B'Day You can be very hurtful when you like, you know. Yes, I know. And occasionally things written when you are not in a good frame of mind come out a little more sarcastically than they are meant to. Sorry. Job is all yours. More than happy to organise it. Trailer will be back midday Saturday. PS: I’ve already exchanged emails with Aunty Connie about my original email. Funnily enough, she took exception to it too. But we have sorted that out now. Thought you should know...Merry Christmas! Is this better....... Good Afternoon I’ve spoken to mum this morning and she does not want something big (and was very specific about this). She remembers all the work that her and dad used to put in for all of the other milestone celebrations that they assisted on and does not want to be responsible for inflicting that on us. She also mentioned that it would probably be better to have something after Christmas, perhaps even early in the new year. I’ve asked her to speak with Robbie and come up with somewhere that she would like...knowing her, it will probably be Chantilly Blue (restaurant in Kilcoy), the Caboolture RSL or a Tavern somewhere. Mum will let us know in due course...so at this stage, her 70th is nothing to worry about. So relax until we hear from her. Enjoy the rest of your day. Steve. What I wish I had said.... Oh that's just great...love the backslap in the emphasis on DRAMATIC...but did you stop to think just how that's made Colleen feel?? Re-read her reply. She really hates being referred to as the cause of a overly "dramatic" incident, as do I. She just happened to remember first that it was a zero birthday. And all of this because I wrote a jokey response to her first email??? I did not intend for it to be taken seriously, and I'm surprised and disappointed that you did. I have been quite stunned at your response to it, and have not known how to proceed with any further action about Mum's birthday in case it caused more fall-out, so I'm happy for you to take it on. We will show up if something takes place. On a personal note, however... I'm angry that I should have to deal with fallout from what is essentially your attitude/way of alienating people. I have always given you a great deal of leeway in our dealings together, because I figured it was better than alienation from you and yours. I don't think I've done either of us any favours by doing so. All it seems to have done, is made you contemptuous of me and how I am. I don't change to please anyone, including you. I won't be making the allowances I have in the past, for you in future. |