A friend asked a group of us, what tips we had for beginners. I was shocked when she asked me, cos I've only been in this groove since 2004 when I arrived in Newcastle. Before that, sewing was not a part of my life at all! So this is what I wrote in response!
1.You only use two or three strands of that handsewing thread, NOT the whole strand, when making your first attempt at applique.
2.Learn to put the bobbin in the right way in the machine, lots less time unsewing and swearing at your stupid machine that way.
3.Basic service skills really do help your machine run better. So, cleaning out bobbin case of fluff, and using a drop of sewing machine oil in that oil chamber spot (they say after each project, I say whenever I remember, 3-6months!) has had big benefits for me.
4. French knots are evil. They must be destroyed.
5. Ditto for hexagons.
6. Ditto for Vliesofix. Give me a better product that doesn't separate and peel apart!!!!
7.If u see fabric that u reallyREALLY REEEEAAAAALLLLY like, buy it. Chances are, everyone else will like it too and it won't be there when u go back. SOB!
8. When travelling, look up a few quilt shops that will be on the way, they all have different stock and u have to have a break somewhere.
9. Do not leave strips of fabric hang
ing over chair backs, the cat or the child will flog them and use them as a plaything. Similarly, hide your sewing scissors from the child, in case he decides to help u cut out, or use them for (gasp! HORROR!) papercraft/pruning a plant/cut labels off his toys or clothes. Do not laugh, these have been real-life scenarios for me.
10. best tip of all...Find a group of like-minded people and stick with them, there are very few things u cannot find a solution for amongst u all. In Life, and in Quilting!